Google Plus killed the technology blog

This may be the final entry in this and my other blogs.

I managed to painstakingly avoid using Facebook for many years, and instead waited patiently for Google to create it's social networking site, Google Plus (If you have never heard of Google+, I strongly urge you to go back to the rock you have so obviously been living under and/or go read some other non-technical site).

Ever since I have been active on Google+ (since soon after it's initial Beta period), have found it to be absolutely brilliant, if not addictive, and a far better medium to which I can expose my technical knowledge and findings to the masses.

This means that there is little or no time for the blog and I am almost positively confident of using one or more Google+ page(s) to replace this and most probably all of my other blogs.

Thank you Blogger for your great blogging service, but thank you so much more Google plus for finally giveing me what I (and so many other Google fans) wanted.


mirgating to libata

Since IDE/MFM/RLL is now depreciated, I thought I'd share my experiences of migrating to the newer libsata (SATA prod) drivers in 2.6 kernel.

Since I only have 2 devices on IDE ports (WD 320Gb HDD and a cdrw), there was very little for me to do as I had just about everything spread across both ata and libsata, so I removed all instances of ata, set built-in ATA driver support (since the system boots from IDE - for now) under libsata and enabled what I needed as modules for my SATA JBOD's

The whole thing almost went perfectly as planned (and as documented), except for the following minor irritations:

  1. Forgot to change the real_root option in grub.conf from /dev/hda3 to /dev/sda3 :-P
  2. udev was naming my cdrom to cdrw1/cdrom1

Admittedly, it took my a while figure out that I forgot to change the bootloader for the change in device names, but I quickly worked out how to change the cdrom device name back to default, by editing "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules"