2008-06-15

dmix

After many changes in my USE flags (alsa/arts) and the fact that I kept breaking my audio (NWN would have no sound, wine kept blocking other apps from accessing the audio harware and many other problematic things), I finally got a working dmixed (and arts free) audio setup *yay*.

This is how I (FINALLY) fixed it:

  1. Created a working /etc/asound.conf (see bellow) and restart alsasound.

  2. Removed arts altogether in favour of alsa (USE="-arts alsa") in /etc/make.conf, ran emerge -NDv world

  3. while tired="true"; do; sleep 8h; done

  4. Restarted X (/etc/init.d/xdm restart).

...and now I have dmix (which now works with wine!!!)!

Here is my /etc/asound.conf

pcm.dmixed {
ipc_key 1025
type dmix
slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
}

#one called "dsnooped" for capturing
pcm.dsnooped {
ipc_key 1027
type dsnoop
slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
}

#and this is the real magic
pcm.asymed {
type asym
playback.pcm "dmixed"
capture.pcm "dsnooped"
}

#a quick plug plugin for above device to do the converting magic
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "asymed"
}

#a ctl device to keep xmms happy
ctl.pasymed {
type hw
card 0
}

#for aoss:
pcm.dsp0 {
type plug
slave.pcm "asymed"
}

ctl.mixer0 {
type hw
card 0
}

And as you can see in the screenshot below, you can see wine (foobar2000) using the dmix plug as it's output device :)



NOTE: Step 3 (sleeping) is optional :P

No comments:

 
Google+