failure to focus

I have confirmed that I can get the Raspberry Pi to connect to the ISP using PPPoE through a VLAN, however, I cannot (or rather my brain cannot) get the OpenWrt to accept traffic other then ICMP to/from the device itself (I probably need to understand iptables or I am overlooking something very simple).

I'm finding it extremely hard to focus and get the networking part of this lab working right now when I don't actually have a lab to do it on and when others in the household rely on internet so much including myself, when I need to refer to something while trying to troubleshoot and find a solution to this 'router-on-a-stick' model of networking to overcome the shortfall of the existing router.

I've also lost my 4Gb micro SD for which I was planning using for building a Bluetooth (A2DP) Audio receiver from the Raspberri Pi which is making me a little less than happy considering they are not as easy to come by due to the size and I will have to spend another $10 (effectively $20 now) in order to get one.

For now, I'm going to go watch something and try again later (including looking for the SD card).


Google Plus killed the technology blog

This may be the final entry in this and my other blogs.

I managed to painstakingly avoid using Facebook for many years, and instead waited patiently for Google to create it's social networking site, Google Plus (If you have never heard of Google+, I strongly urge you to go back to the rock you have so obviously been living under and/or go read some other non-technical site).

Ever since I have been active on Google+ (since soon after it's initial Beta period), have found it to be absolutely brilliant, if not addictive, and a far better medium to which I can expose my technical knowledge and findings to the masses.

This means that there is little or no time for the blog and I am almost positively confident of using one or more Google+ page(s) to replace this and most probably all of my other blogs.

Thank you Blogger for your great blogging service, but thank you so much more Google plus for finally giveing me what I (and so many other Google fans) wanted.


mirgating to libata

Since IDE/MFM/RLL is now depreciated, I thought I'd share my experiences of migrating to the newer libsata (SATA prod) drivers in 2.6 kernel.

Since I only have 2 devices on IDE ports (WD 320Gb HDD and a cdrw), there was very little for me to do as I had just about everything spread across both ata and libsata, so I removed all instances of ata, set built-in ATA driver support (since the system boots from IDE - for now) under libsata and enabled what I needed as modules for my SATA JBOD's

The whole thing almost went perfectly as planned (and as documented), except for the following minor irritations:

  1. Forgot to change the real_root option in grub.conf from /dev/hda3 to /dev/sda3 :-P
  2. udev was naming my cdrom to cdrw1/cdrom1

Admittedly, it took my a while figure out that I forgot to change the bootloader for the change in device names, but I quickly worked out how to change the cdrom device name back to default, by editing "/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules"


Xbox 1 savegames on XBOX 360

Since discovered that Burnout 3 and other Xbox 1 titles are now available through XBOX Live! games on demand, I decided to do away with disc swapping and focus my attention on purchasing games for XBOX360 and Xbox Originals online through Live!

Then it dawned on me... What about all the long and painful hours I dedicated to all those Xbox 1 Originals? Do I have to play them all over again including unlocking everything and developing perfect saves etc?

The short answer (more or less from Microsoft) is: No

The Long(er) answer is: Yes, but only with specific hardware, software and some patience (as well as unsigned savegames).

Quite a bit of research later, I discovered that it is theoretically possible as the XBOX 360 has a directory on it's HDD (Partition 3/Compatibility/Xbox1/UDATA to be precise). Besides, how else would it save normally backwards compatible game data?

So after I borrowing a Datel XPort 360 HDD adapter from an awesome friend, I was able to connect the XBOX 360 HDD onto my PC, and read (and also write to) the HDD contents within minutes, all I needed was Xport 360 Software

Next up I deleted my Halo save that I created on the XBOX360 HDD and dragged the Xbox Original savegame folder (ID: 4d530004) onto the XBOX 360 HDD disconnected it and it worked!

I then repeated this with Burnout 3 and tested it, but it failed to load save and shows Unusable in the in-game load menu for the savegam(e). Apparently this is because the savegame(s) are signed with HDD key so it will probably never work for this game *sob*

I decided to proceed with copying all my Xbox Original save games (or at least he ones I care about anyway) onto the XBOX 360 HDD, so I will update this post if and when I have the Games available to test.


isp faithfulness

I just discovered today that I was being charged by my ISP for a broadband account in a place I used to live in...

I applied for broadband back in 2006 when I was living in Sorrento, but broadband was not available in that area until about 6 months after I left that suburb and cancelled my dial-up. My ISP has been charging me for it ever since!

Luckily for me, my ISP not only cancelled the old unused account, but have also refunded the last 6 months. At least my ISP seems to reward faithful customers...


Buzz, knol, Goole and... stuff

I thought that I might post another article since it could very well be the last!

Purely because of the fact that I am considering replacing it (and maybe my other two), with knol or Google Buzz.

I stumbled across knol whilst digging around in the help and settings for Google Buzz (which just appeared in my Gmail one day) and quickly realised the potential social outreach it has.

So, now I am looking to see if it's possible to convert the blog(s) to knowl/Buzz...